Gamer Mania 2

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Superman Returns: Second Opinion

Since Zam already wrote a full review, I’m just going to talk about what I thought about it. He gave it a high score of 4.. but after seeing it, I really don’t know where he got that from. First of all, I don’t like the fact that they pretended the 3rd and 4th Superman movies never existed, and as Zam already said, it’s a bit late to be making a.. second version of the series.

After leaving this movie, I had so many damn questions it wasn’t even funny. How did Superman even move that island into space? It was made of Kryptonite so he really shouldn’t have been able to touch it, let alone lift it out of the ocean. Why did they cast Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane. She was sure pretty, but aside from that I really don’t get why Superman loved her. Was Richard an idiot? He thought he was Jason’s father when obviously Superman was, and I have no idea whatsoever how that works out, because Clark didn’t even know Lois has a boyfriend.. so obviously Superman was dead before Richard came into the picture.. that’s just a big plot hole. How exactly would Lex Luther benefit from the island he was making? He was going to kill all the people he would have made money from. My biggest question though is, how the hell didn’t the people at the Daily Planet figure out Clark was Superman? Clark goes away, Superman goes away, Clark comes back, Superman comes back. Pretty obvious to me what's up.

Aside from that, I don’t think Brandon Routh was a very good Superman. He was pretty good as Clark Kent, and he had the body to be Superman, but he didn’t play the part very well. James Marsden was probably my favorite actor in the whole movie, which is pretty sad, considering he didn’t have a huge part. The biggest problem with this movie though is that there just aren’t enough memorable moments in this film. The most exciting part of the movie was the shuttle/plane scene, because the big island plot was total rubbish. I also didn’t like the whole idea of Superman having a son..

Once you get around all of that, there are a few good things. James Marsden and Kevin Spacey are both very good, there are some neat special effects, and.. it’s Superman. Sadly, I just can’t recommend this movie. A shallow story, a sprinkle of bad acting, and a big side of unanswered questions all adds up to what I call a 2.5 out of 5. After seeing it, I wish they’d just cut the crap and made it a 1 and a half hour movie full of action. Superman, please, just die, and don’t come back to life this time.

All I can give this is at most a rent, because it's possible you'll enjoy watching it a single time, but probably not any more then that.

2 Comments:

  • I liked it more than you did, but you're dead right .. Luthor's plot was just nonsensical, draining the movie of some power

    By Blogger Reel Fanatic, at 6:33 PM  

  • I am Ton's father, and I liked the movie. As to how did superman move the island, the answer is obvious. There was basalt mixed with the kryptonite. So the basalt was the real hero in the movie.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home





Get Firefox!
Firefox Flicks!
Locations of visitors to this page