Gamer Mania 2

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

SmilesD's 5 Most Overrated games of all-time

I was reading what Zam and Ton had planned this week for GM2, and there "most hated games" idea inspired this post. These might not be games I hate, but they are games I feel people get way too excited over. At they very least, they are games that were popular that I never enjoyed for whatever reason.


In no particular order, here's the list.

Grand Theft Auto (series)


If it weren't for this game, I might never have bought a PS2. Until I tried this game out, I actually was going to buy an Xbox. So I buy the PS2 and GTA III, and at first it's love at first sight. Killing people for no reason, stealing cars, doing hookers, what could be better in a game?

So then I played it for about 2 weeks nonstop, and then I realized, God damn I've been doing the same exact thing over and over again. Eventually, breaking the law and running from the police or a gang for a half hour wasn't much fun anymore.

I traded the game in, and I've never looked back. This game isn't bad, and it's not boring, it's just not the great game people swear it is. It's repetitive as hell, and no matter how many people might disagree with me, it's a game I feel is extremely overrated.

Halo

Well, not only do I think this game is overrated, but I pretty much hate it as well. I can remember playing the demo in stores back in the day and thinking, boy does this game suck. And then it ends up being popular as hell. So I figure, well it was only the demo, maybe I missed something. Lucky me, my roomate had it, so I put it in and decide to give it a go. No, I didn't miss anything. It's just as boring as the demo was.

What is so different or original about this game that makes it so special? Seriously, someone tell me, because there are about 1583 more games out there that do the same thing, and many time do it better.

Final Fantasy (series)

Here's another game that I as a gamer felt I "should" like. So I borrow one of them off my neighbor. I can't remember which one for sure, but I think it was 12. I get about 3 or 4 hours into the game, get to a flower that keeps killing me, and finally decide, this shit is played out, I'm done.

I'll give it this much. The graphics and music are awesome. The whole hitting one button to attack, and then waiting to get hit stuff sucks. If you like that type of thing, then this might be the best there is, but I just couldn't stand it. I don't understand how anyone can play a game like that. I want something fun and fast paced, not long and drawn out like this game seemed to be.

The Sims (series)

This one can be summed up in a few sentences, maybe just one. Why,oh why would you want to spend your time living a virtual life? Why do you want to go on cyber dates? Why? I don't get it

Nintendogs

This is sort of along the same lines as the Sims. Where is the fun in taking care of a virtual pet? How fun is it petting your dog, feeding it, or throwing a ball on a screen? I just don't want to do that. My time is precious. I want the game to be fun, in your face and exciting. I don't want to take care of an animal. I have a real dog to do that with, and trust me, picking up shit, and feeding a dog isn't all that exciting.

--SmilesD
Writer at Smiles That Kill

6 Comments:

  • Ehh, GTA is really good if you put it all the friggin cheats you can get your hands on. That's what's makes it kick ass.

    Halo is definitely overrated. It's just a FPS. I mean, it's good, but there are so many games out there much better than it. So I agree with you on that one.

    Hate Final Fantasy, that's all I have to say on that.

    Nintendogs is really boring. If I wanted to train a dog, I would get one.

    But The Sims.....it's actually pretty fun. You can do so much stuff in that game. Making people cheat on each other and get caught in that game is fun too. It's pretty fun, but can get boring.

    So good list Doug.

    By Blogger wifiguy51, at 6:31 PM  

  • Thanks, as far as needing cheats for GTA to be good though, that seems kind of odd. They game should be good by itself, without cheats.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:39 PM  

  • GTA is great imo, defined a genre and is well done. Although it has way too many clones. I mean look at Saints Row. It does get a bit repeptitive, but then again it's a nice game to go back to on a rainy afternoon.

    Halo is a decent FPS, but the main reason it's so popular is for the multiplayer on both 1 and 2. There is a reason why it's still the most played Xbl game.

    The Sims, I'm ashamed to say I've played it before and loved it. In my defence, I was in bed, ill at the time, we had no internet and my 360 was in the other room. So yeah, I played it a lot that weekend and not since.

    I haven't played the other 2, but heard Nintendogs was quite good.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:48 PM  

  • Awesome list Doug.

    GTA is meh, then again I have never played them. I have to say I did enjoy the Saints Row demo, so maybe I would like GTA.

    Halo is pretty fun, but I don't think it's worth playing endlessly. It is a very good game because of the Live structure, and of the sheer number of options in games that is unmatched by any other game out.

    Final Fantasy would be #1 on my list, those games are utter boring crap.

    Nintendogs wasn't bad, it's just better suited for women, which is what Nintendo was aiming for.

    And the Sims, that is my most hated game ever thanks to the PS2 version.

    By Blogger Matt, at 8:18 PM  

  • Cat, I agree with you that it defined a genre, but for my cup of tea, it's not all that great. I just got really sick of running from police and what not.

    Thanks for the comments though. It's nice to get some discussion going on around here.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:32 PM  

  • Well, to be honest, I'm not surprised if you played it non stop for 2 weeks. :P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home





Get Firefox!
Firefox Flicks!
Locations of visitors to this page